Thursday, July 19, 2012

Loath vs. loathe

"Perhaps you're correct, little champion," she said lightly. "Personally, I think the damage will linger. I've found such fertile ground on both sides -- the lords who hate and loath everything the war maids stand for, and the war maids whose resentment of all the insults and injustices they and their sisters have endured over the years burns equally hot and bitter." -- Wind Rider's Oath, by David Weber, pg. 546.
I don't know why so many seem to consider the subject words to be interchangeable. Just like "bath" and "bathe" are not interchangeable, the words are quite different. Though I have heard an ignorant mother tell her children to "Go bath," the two words do not mean the same thing. They are not even the same parts of speech, "bath" being a noun, "bathe" a verb.

Though writers and editors ought to have a solid grasp of parts of speech, vocabulary, and syntax, I suspect that the misuse of the two essay-subject words is not due to editorial oversight so much as to editorial ignorance. I could be wrong, and it doesn't really matter whether I am or not. The fact is that I have seen "loath" (pronounced with a hard 'th,' as in "bath") and "loathe" (soft 'th,' as in "bathe") used incorrectly in print a large number of times.

"Loath" is a an adjective describing, usually, a person or persons that are unwilling (or, at least, reluctant) to perform some action, as in "I am loath to let such lapsus pass un-noted." It is almost always followed by an infinitive phrase (here, "to let such...").

"Loathe" is a transitive verb meaning to dislike intensely or abhor, as in "I loathe that authors and editors often use 'loath' and 'loathe' interchangeably." Because it is a transitive verb, it requires at least one object; one does not simply loathe, one loathes something. Intransitive verbs do not have objects.  So, "I live," but not, "I loathe."

I don't really mean to pick on David Weber, but since I read a lot of his books, within them, I find a lot of grist for this mill. I also note in the quote above, that there is little real difference between "hate" and what should have been "loathe," making that part of the sentence redundant; that, too should have been caught by the editor(s). I promise that I'll pick on another author, and publisher, for my next essay on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment